Big feedback after 50+ hours of play
Originaly posted this on the steam forums but i got told there that the devs most likely dont even read posts there and i should put in on the subreddit, so here i am.
I realy liked that this game besides its battle royal mode has some objective modes too, especialy the heart of the hives mode that involves a bit of tactics and team coordination.
But the game in its current state is a mess... you should have labeled it as beta or early access, or even just delay the release longer. Maybe the reviews and ratings would have not been this bad. Get yourself some proper gametesters and not just some streamers that get a headstart on the game so they have benefits on the games release to only attrackt a few people to the game, that will leave again because of its current state.
That said lets start with the MAIN MENU:
- I am glad that you already fixed the displayed levels of each char that were just 1 level too hight before. There was another bug that i cant check out anymore (because got all my chars leveled up to ~lvl 15) that did not update the current characters level in the character selection when switching from a leveled char to another one that you havent played yet. In that case the displayed level always showed the level from the character you had selected before.
- I am also missing some character- and account statistics like kills/death/assists/matches played/matches won and that kind of stuff.
- Give us the base damage numbers on all skilldescriptions and list up the the melee attack too. im not 100% sure but it feels like its damage is different on several characters too.
- While youre in the menu for collections/battleplass/shop the [ESC] key should bring you back to the HOME screen, it just feels wrong that you have to click it with your mouse.
- the 'daily' and 'week1' buttons on the right side of the home screen get messed up as soon as you ready up for a match and stay like that if you would cancel the matchmaking until you hover over them or play any match.
- the battlepass challenges progression is not updating, its always showing 0/3 for the daily orders aswell as the preseasonal challenges and 0/8 on the weekly challenges.
The first SPAWN SCREEN:
- Its fine that you have a 20 second timer to check out your opponents and can change your skill builds there, but after that you have another 5 second timer before you can pick your spawn location. In my oppinion you should already be able to pick a location during this timer so most of your team will spawn right away when the timer reaches 0. Right now you just try to pick a location even when spamming the mouse button on it, just to get blocked on that spawn point because someone else was clicking even faster, what makes you choose another point, that gets blocked too the second you click on it. You cant tell who picked which spot so there is no reason to actualy wait to see who spawns where, so just let us pick locations during the timer and spawn at once when it reaches 0 so we dont have to waste time on the early game. Would be nice to see which player picked which spawn point too.
- The spawn camera most of the time not realy aligns up with you character, instead it goes into walls objects or the ground, facing bit of a different way and angle and then just snaps back onto your character. this just feels and looks bad like it has been implemented on the last second before release within 5 minutes. just do a smooth lerp from the spawnlocations camera to the playercharacters camera position and rotation, and dont use a preset camerapath, at least not if its not matching properly.
- Even the numbers of the countdown have a bit of a bug, looking like the numbers overlap from 8 to 7 and 5, 4, 3.
- The capusle dropoff animation... its way too long and just boring and anoying. I mean, i get it, you pobably used it to hide the object and texture streaming, but at least for me its not realy working, LOD0 mipmaps of the textures just finish to load the moment i get controll of my character anyway. The animation of the character spawning/leaving the drop pod somehow doesnt match the framerate of the game, while the game and everything around runs on 70 fps, the animation of my character itself looks like around 15 fps until i get control over it.
- The knockback of the droppods... happened to me several times that another droppod just lands on me, knocking me away and getting me stuck in some environments. On some chars that have a dashing ability you can probably free yourself, on others that only have a normal jump you can be doomed to be stuck there for the whole match or at least have to wait there until some enemy finaly kills you.
Ping system, map and scoreboard:
- Give some introduction to the ping system, im pretty sure most players dont even know you mark a location when pressing middle mouse button once, and mark an enemy location when pressing it twice. only problem with it, its not always working, sometimes you mark an enemy location but it just disappears again, and i dont think it even shows the text message in the upper right screen. sometimes it just confirms or declines anotehr players mark (at least i think so guessing by the voicelines), that most of the time must have been invisible or have nothing to do with your targeted location, makes it impossible for you to mark any location.
- When you open your map and ping 2-3 locations it just breaks, making you cant ping anything anymore and your mark just stays on the last working locations even if its not relevant anymore.
- Let us use the ping wheel on the minimap, not just the default pings, let us pick what we wanna mark! You have the 'group up' ping in the game, but its useless if you have to be in line of sight with that location, using it on the minimap would the more useful and logical thing.
- Give the own player another minimap icon, you dont need to see wich character icon you have, just give us an green triangle arrow, not a round icon with a slightly different outline colour. players want to see where they are, and dont wanna check 8 icons to see wich one has a white 1 pixel thick border around it instead of a blue one.
- I think you have already said you will do it, but let us access the scoreboard during matches.
- Bring Kill/Death/Assists on the scoreboard, i mean you have damage done on it, but it just makes you feel bad if you have the most dmg after a match but it says 0 kills just because you only have dot dmg, and someone always steals your kills, so give some assist stats to those that have damaged the killed players in the last 5 seconds.
- Show us the latency! So laggy this game sometimes feels it would be very interesting to see. Im not even sure if you have regional servers, im playing in Germany but it always feels like you just get matched on NA servers with 100-200ms.
- Objectives like capturing the extractors do not count to the scoreboard, its just not working, always showing '-'
- When you died you get put in a spectator view, viewing your teammates, but why you showing the 'report player' button down there? its even bound to a hotkey , remove that! why in the world should you promote reporting players, especialy own teammates that probably havent been involved in your death? just put it on the scoreboard and on this just like right now, click on that specific player, report...
- And why the hell there is an option for reporting low skilled players that are probably just new players lerning the game? i mean ofc it sucks if you get in a match with people that just dont know what to do and run around like a headless chicken, but what will you do to them? Ban them from the game so it looses even more players? just bring in a proper matchmaking system that considers your K/D/A and objective scores and gives you a matchmaking rating.
Overall gameplay mechanics:
- Almost ALL the weapons and melee attacks just feel bad. theyre lacking in impact feeling and proper recoil that makes you actualy feel when you shoot it or hit a target.
- How in the world could you not think about putting a chat in this game? at least text based team chat for the objective modes, voip would find more use in the battle royal mode i guess, but at least a simple text chat would help soo much when you see 5 people of your team chasing a single enemy for minutes around a harvester instead of 1 capturing meanwhile.
- The health pylons sometimes just stop working, even if you activated them and already got 2-3 health ticks, but then it just stops and you cant activate them anymore, most of the time that happened to me is when 2-3 players were using them at the same time, some keep healing, some just cant use it anymore (most often you cant use that pylon during the whole match anymore).
- Imo if you use that healing pylons and reach full health each tick then should start to remove 100 bleed dmg from you.
- Maybe think about changing the healing value from 100hp per tick to about 10% instead, especialy on the tanky chars with a big hp pool you almost fall asleep using them, seeing the circle fill up again and again over 20 times until you healed up again. Or maybe increase the activation time and the healing amount then.
- Somehow i feels weird to me that you actualy have to aim with your cursor on the pylons and healthpacks to use them, i think it would feel much more natural when it would just check for an close range collision overlap and your character facing that direction instead of heaving your crosshair aiming directly on it. Especialy on that pylons, you can activate them and they do their ticks while you somewhat can still look around, but when you look around and your crosshair isnt on the pylon anymore it stops the healing, this is just anoying.
- I feel like the jump height should be increased by 5-10% on all characters because there are a lot of places and obstacles you would think you can jump up/over but you just cant. even the jumps that are possible for example after running up the stairs on the laboratory on location [E] and jump on the walkway to the healthpack it feels so tight i always think it wont work, even when its always working. this could be a result of all jumps feel weird most of the time because of the ongoing lag in all the matches, but more on that later...
- In the harvester command game mode i feel like they tick the score a bit too fast, most matches i played were soo short that you feel like it takes longer to matchmake then playing the match itself.
- Healthpacks sometimes just dont work, you see them complete and even subtract your amout lets say it goes from 3/3 down to 2/3 and you start moving and fighting again, but suddenly you notice you didnt get the heal, and after about 10 seconds your amount changes back to 3/3 like you have never used it.
- When picking up a healthpack, even if the circle is completed it stays there for about 1-2 seconds and has collision, it should disappear and no longer block you, the moment the circle completes.
- Cloak plants should not have collision, at least not after you activate them. its just anoying, you get chased, wann quickly cloak yourself, but after destroying it your dash just gets stuck on the plant.
- How your healthbar looks when you have the health regeneration amplifier should not change. The problem with it is, you have no idea if your healthpack worked or not and how much health you will regenerate, because the whole health bar becomes this green outline. the heal over time from that amplifier is pretty low but it has a total value of around 50000, so you have the problem the whole match after you activated it. Display the number so you know you got the healing amp, but dont colorize the bar itself so you can still tell how much health your healthpack will provide.
- Shields just dont work like a shield should work! I think its fine on mandoza and Rahi & brother, but on sazan and bugg its just weird, it gives you the shield value but its instantly decreasing, getting its value back every second, so you have shield, then dont, then you have shield again, then you dont... so you can never be sure how much shield you actualy have or it is working at all, it even feels like you get health dmg if you get hit while it shows that you dont have shield, even if you have your shield back on the next second... just give us the shield value and remove it when its duration is over or it got removed by dmg.
- The first thing i noticed right in the first second of the tutorial, while turning your weapon is not rotating realy smooth with the rest of your character, it just jitters and glitches while turning, probably a thing with aim offset smoothing or something. at first i thought maybe its a replication problem, calculating the rotation on your client and on the server and both values mess with each other, but since its in training too im not sure anymore.
- Overall its not the most complex character but he is solid and works. but i think his dmg especialy after rank 5 is a too high. Dont know how much it actualy is but if feels like around 800 dps if you land your shots after a reload.
- His supply drop should come in a little bit faster, i feel to use its knockback ability is pretty useless most of the time because it takes too long for its impact.
- I feel like when he uses the autogun bunker it should reduce the bunkers hp a bit, so you could actualy destroy it a bit quicker, at least after you killed Mendoza. When placed in the right spots it can be realy a pain to deal with depending on the character you play, or maybe give it a weakspot on its backside.
- The character you can feel right away when youre in a laggy match again just by its movement. When you use your firepulse thrusters or the thruster pounce you just lag and glitch up and down, it feels soo bad! Sometimes you just wanna quit the game right away. Not sure its a problem with the character itself or again just overall serverperformance.
- This is also represented in her heatmeter, you can never be sure how much heat you have built up, sometimes it just drops down from 90% down to 50% again, but when you think you can do another firepulse jump youre wrong, you just overheat.
- Overall i consider her a pretty strong character, for her damage output she has a pretty decent hp pool and the density of the fire effect feels almost like blinding you, you realy cant see much anymore and with her thruster pounce she pretty much has no problem with chasing enemies.
- The additional fact that she is an excelent npc farmer makes her a bit too strong overall imo.
- Similar to Mendoza overall a pretty basic character but with a bit less dmg and higher hp pool overall almost balanced for his role.
- I dont think he needs that big of a movement speed penalty while reloading because he is pretty slow already besides you tapfire his gattlin gun
- His tanking up skill to heal himself could need a bit of a speedup, i find it takes a bit too long. Most of the time you cant use it during fights without taking at least the same amount of damage it would have healed you, because of your slow movement. this makes you most of the time have to use your escape skill to get far away, leaving your team behind, and that should not be the case for a more or less tank class, especialy on later ranks when it also can remove damage over time effects from you. you should be able to clear dots and heal quickly and not get completely out of the fight where you could just use a simple medpack too.
- The upshift skill says it increases your turbofire, but it just shrinks your crosshair and so increasing your accuracy, not your rate of fire what it should do if i understand it right.
- The space skunk everyone hates but loves to play is just a bit too strong besides his small hp pool.
- Its just too easy to hit and stack up the dot dmg with the shotgun, i would like to see it gets a bit reduced in damage, and the amount of direct and dot dmg a bit shifted to be more like a 50/50 split instead of what we have right now, because she is just eating up all of your health packs, since the pylons cant cure dots youre forced to use them making the whole map gets lacking of healthpacks for your team too because the enemies will collect way more.
- I mean if you just look at her skills you should already see that she is somewhat broken... you can see through walls, you can teleport up to 3 times and you can use smoke up to 3 times to hide and limit your opponents view down to almost 0. its just a bit too much of everything, even the small hitbox/character thats almost invisible when hiding in the vegetation anyway, would like to see her turned down a bit.
- And the fact that her teleport even goes through objects and some part of the landscape makes it even stronger.
- I like that at least this char can heal up your team a bit, even if its only if you spec into it and reach lvl5.
- I havent played her that much ,but from what i can tell i think she is in a good spot just her melee damage could maybe need a little bit of a nerf, cause once you got someone trapped in the dome its almost a free kill and thats a bit too much imo.
- what i realy hate when playing her and against her is that 180 second dot she has, who comes up with such an idea of a 3 minute long bleed with double the dmg amount of some characters hp pools? its only ticking with 8 dmg/s but its again just 1 single attack and you are forced to use a medpack to get rid of it, i hate it... would love to see that change, maybe instead of 1500 dmg in 180 seconds to 150 dmg in 18 seconds or keep it like it is, but it gets removed by using that healing pylons, theres soo much dot in this game right now overall its a bit anoying.
- A bit overtuned damagewise, especialy if youre playing a melee character you have a realy hard time against him.
- At first i would love to see his plants represent the team colors a bit better, even after a lot of matches i just cant tell if the plants are friendly or from the enemy team.
- The dmg of his plants should be a bit reduced imo too, or at least the delay between their attacks should be a bit longer so you are not just get melted that quick.
- His shield burst gives you another one of this kinda bugged shields like i described earlier, it gives you the shield amount, but it keeps draining and refreshes every second. This needs to get fixed its so hard to tell if you get damaged, or its just the visual bug on your health bar, or is it realy reducing its shield amount, its just weird. It should be a simple shield with a set amount that disappears after its duration or when it got destroyed by incoming damage.
- Shield burst should protect against dot dmg, so whats the point of providing a shield to yourself and your allies when you still get all the damage over time on you anyway?
- I would like to see his plants decay pretty quick after you kill him.
- The impact feeling of his attacks is just bad, it feels like no difference if you hit or miss your target.
- Lets say youre attacking a target and more or less spamming your left mouse button and then you wanna use your [E] or [Q] + [left click] ability it just feels bad, because if you miss the end of your attack by just a little bit it will just do another melee attack instead of activating your [Q]/[E]. I think as soon as you press [Q] or [E] it should buffer the ability to activate right after your melee attack finished, and you could just [left/right click] as soon as the ui pops up to choose which skill you wanna use then.
- Ranged pull sometimes shows 2 lines and the collision detection feels like its not constantly working, but this could be lag related aswell.
- Damage seems to be a little bit too high.
- He is another character that deals soo much much bleed damage, its just too much in the game right now, lower the dmg a little bit but convert it more towards direct dmg.
- His immunity for 1.5 seconds and the uninteruptible use of medpacks is almost too strong, it almost feels like hes a better tank then the more intended tank classes like Earl and Rahi.
Rahi & Brother:
- His knuckleduster sometimes just deals no dmg to npcs as well as players, it just goes through them leaving them untouched
- His charged jump meter sometimes just does not work, not sure its lag related but sometimes it shows full but does only a small jump or its just not realy charging at all.
- Brother is a bit too slow, i think it should at least be faster then yourself so can at least close the gap to your target a little bit with it. It already has a pretty long cooldown, even if it is probably more intended to be an escape skill to get out of the battle. His movement when approaching the target location looks just bad too, like he is checking to be 1 meter above the ground on each frame, making him jump up and down on cliffs. Just let him fly in a straight line towards it would make it look and feel better.
- His activ shield (laugh it off) should shield you from getting dots stacked up on you during its duration. When you activate it it makes you an even easier target while for example tosca can just easily put all his shots onto you filling almost your whole health bar full with dot.
- Shooting the rifle feels the worst in the whole game right now to me. Its like you click your left mouse but it doesnt feels like theres a difference if it shoots, hits a target or nothing happens because youre out of ammo, the click feels always the same.
- I noticed that if you click twice it buffers the shot, this should not be the case, i think this is part of why it feels so bad, if you try to shoot twice but the delay between attacks is not over it buffers the attack just to shoot when its ready, even if you dont want that anymore, offsetting all your following clicks. So the shot comes out at moments you dont realy want it, if its not ready when you click it just should not shoot until you click again.
- Her escape is kinda bad, the grappling hook is a fun mechanic but realy predictable and should maybe have a bit shorter cooldown.
- Switching your weapons should be a bit faster or feel more fluid. For example after shooting your shotgun and you wanna quickly switch to your assault rifle to get that little bit of shield, it takes almost 1-2 seconds until you can switch, this just feels a bit bad imo. This wouldnt realy be a buff to her, because even if you switch faster you will therefor have a longer period of time whern your skills are on cooldown and you cant switch then anyway. It just would feel a bit better. Same for switching to your knife for your cloak and using your dash skill, it just makes you have to wait until your cloak is almost over already.
- the particle effect from the speedbuff you get when switching to your shotgun stays too long, its almost double the time as the buff lasts.
- The knive throw should be a bit quicker, right now you switch to your knife and have a bit of delay before you even can activate it, then it takes about 1 second until it actualy gets trown and then you have the travel time too. im fine with it to be a skill that needs to be aimed good and has not the highest projectile speed, but it should at least be thrown pretty close to the moment you clicked and not over a second later.
- Sometimes your ui just gets broken, when it happened it was showing 1/3 of the ammo missing and not updating anymore. So you just see 2/3 shotgun shells or missing about 5 shots in your assault rifle even if thats not true. Even switching through weapons wont fix this, it will stay bugged until you die.
- When switching to your assault rifle you get another one of this kinda bugged shields that keeps draining itself, then jumping back to its value and draining again over and over again. just make it a solid shield value like a shield should be until its duration is over or it got destroyed.
- The biggest problem for me is the LAG, its horrible! im not even sure if there are regional servers but it always feels like im playing on the wrong servers. Im from Germany and i always think i got matched on some NA servers or the servers just cant realy handle the game itself. Usualy i have a realy good connection running a latency of 6-10ms in other games, but in this one it always feels like 100-200ms.
- This results in a lot of delays in dashes, missing shots when you know you hit your target, even on the npc creatures sometimes it feels like its just not recognizing the hits, some rubberbanding, small teleports and overall jitter and glitching. This could also affect some of the characters gamemechanics like the weapon swap on sazan, so it would be nice to hear from some players that dont have that much problem with latency if it realy feels that bad/slow.
- Had serveral times the high latency warning showing up and you just cant move anymore, and i dont think it was only me because when it continued after several seconds all the other players looked like they got stuck too, so i think its server related.
- I experienced several situations where the game just freezes for 1-5 seconds for no reason. It doesnt have to be in situations where a lot is going on, it can happen at any time when youre just walking alone, looking on a wall doing nothing. this needs to be fixed, nothing worse than that, if this happens in a fight youre just dead...
- several server crashes where you get kicked back to the main menue and cant even rejoin the match anymore.
- Gameperformance itself is not too bad for me overall. At least it doesnt have any huge framedrops on my end, but indeed could need some improvements, im running it around 60-70 fps on 2560x1080 on a gtx980ti. the point is that changing any of the graphic settings simply makes no difference. But i heared even people with more up to date hardware dont get more fps out of it and this shoulndt be the case, so there is probably something bottlenecking and limiting the max fps, maybe some visual effects that just add a lot to the frametime. What gets me worried here is that there is just fps limits for 30 and 60 fps in the options so its maybe just designed to run like that? i hope you guys didnt do the mistake of using frames instead of frametime for some of the game mechanics and thats why it gets a softcap around 60 fps so things dont get out of hand with high fps?
- In terms of stability i cant complain that much, only had 2 game crashes in my 50 hours of play and in that cases the rejoining did work.
All this said i hope this game will improve a lot over the next weeks and survive until then. Maybe it will get some better reviews and get some players back aswell as new ones. It should just got a beta or early access tag on it. Overall i had some fun in the game even if a lot is wrong with it right now, just hurry up if you wanna save it.
Thanks to everyone that managed to read this wall of text!
submitted by R1t0x