I was the GM of the Florida Marlins (first act was to rename them to this) at /baseballoffseason15
. These were the moves I made. Preliminary Goals
I took stock of the situation as an uninitiated observer and made these conclusions:
- One of the most obvious resources controlled by the Marlins is one Giancarlo Stanton. We started this simulation towards the end of the postseason, so I had taken earlier comments by Stanton to mean that he would not re-sign with the Marlins after his arbitration expired in 2016.
- One of the other most obvious resources controlled by the Marlins is one Jose Fernandez. As you may know, Jose is injured and is going to miss at least the beginning parts of the 2015 season.
- One of the most obvious obstacles facing the Marlins is that the Nationals are pretty stacked right now. They have a lineup without any major holes and a stacked rotation. Fortunately, they're going to be eaten alive by their own finances after 2015 as core members of the team (Desmond, Zimmermann, Span, Fister) become a lot more expensive.
With these in mind, the goal became to win the 2016 World Series, while doing everything possible to grow more competitive in 2015. I wanted to make the team capable of winning the division in 2015 but likely to win the wild card. I wanted to do this while building a core that would last through at least 2016. I did okay. Moves 1. Pick up Jeff Mathis' club option
This isn't that exciting of a move but he's a replacement level player only making $1.5M. I thought about declining the option and giving JT Realmuto the backup job but it's probably better for his development to play everyday in AAA and it's only $1.5M. I absolutely should have declined this and given the backup job to Rob Brantley. 2. Trade Adam Conley and Justin Nicolino to the Rockies for Justin Morneau
This trade was made for the following reasons:
- Garrett Jones should not be anything except a pinch-hitter or backup outfielder.
- Morneau can do everything Jones can do except better (more HR, swing left-handed, non-anemic BA and OBP). I believe that 2014 Morneau is much more indicative of his talent level than 2013 (not that he was particularly bad then either).
- Morneau is a value, owed $6.75 M next year and $9M in 2016. He was worth 3.2 bWAR last year and should earn every bit of that contract.
The Marlins honestly have more possible mid-rotation pitching depth than they can use (knock on wood) and I don't think Conley is going to make an impact for the Marlins at the ML level. Didn't like giving up Nicolino but I think it's a worthwhile trade. 3. Trade Giancarlo Stanton and Nathan Eovaldi to the Dodgers for Dan Haren, Alex Guerrero, Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias
I DIDN'T MEAN FOR THIS TO HAPPEN. My rule #1 going into the sim was that Stanton was untouchable. Then this happened. Here's the justification.
4. Trade Domingo German, Austin Barnes, and Tyler Kolek as a player to be named later to the White Sox for Alexei Ramirez
- This trade was made in a world where there was no extension, just Loria. Stanton had two more years of team control. He's an MVP-caliber player no doubt, but he gave me a very small window of contention. He's also just one player. He's not necessarily injury-prone, but the Marlins are a lot less scary of a team if another freak injury occurs (knock on wood again).
- THESE FUCKING PROSPECTS ARE YOU KIDDING? Forget top-100 prospects, this trade has three top-15 prospects. Let me prospect-jerk for a bit. Pederson is ready to start in the Marlins OF with Ozuna and Yelich after hitting 33 HR with 30 SB in AAA to go along with his .303/.435/.582. Seager pulled a monster .349/.402/.602 through high-A and AA and every Dodgers prospect evaluator falls into heaven at the sound of his name. Urias just posted a 2.36 ERA and K/9 over 11 in High-A WHILE BEING 17 YEARS OF AGE. Guerrero is pretty damn good himself and can start for the Marlins at either SS or 2B (more on that later). Haren is included to even out salary since apparently the Dodgers don't have unlimited payroll (news to me)
- This still focuses on the 2016 window of contention. Pederson and Guerrero will have a full year of ML experience, Seager will have broken into the majors by then, and if Urias continues to defy all logic he could somehow be ready to pitch in the MLB at age 19. Haren's contract only runs through 2015, giving me $10M extra to spend when (assumedly) his rotation spot gets filled by a cheap current prospect.
5. Trade Chris Hatcher and Mike Dunn for Aaron Crow, Chris Dwyer, and Cheslor Cuthbert and $1.5MM
- Ramirez has been super consistently putting up at least 2.5 bWAR for essentially his entire career. Very good all-around player and it wouldn't surprise me if he's an all-star again next year.
- I am personally low on Tyler Kolek. I really like the ridiculous potential he has as a player, but I don't think he's going to be able to keep his arm intact long enough to make much of a major league impact. I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. German could be a very good player, but Barnes is blocked so I think the value is worth it. This was probably an overpay in hindsight and the value is probably not worth it.
I have no idea why I did this??? I guess I had a strong bullpen that I weakened some and picked up some former top-100 prospects that maybe could still be good? Yeah I don't know. 6. Trade Arquimedes Caminero, Brian Anderson, and Justin Twine for Juan Uribe
I didn't give a shit about any of these prospects. Justin Twine is blocked in a world where Corey Seager exists. Arquimedes Caminero can throw 100 but he's also really old I think? I have no idea who Brian Anderson is and I sure as fuck wasn't going to take the time to Google it. Uribe is underrated and provides ""veteran leadership"" or something like that. I needed a better 3B than Casey "I have a girl's first name" McGehee and I got it without giving up a player who I cared about. 7. Sign Dan "GUNZ" Uggla to a vet minimum 1 year contract followed by a $750K TO followed by a $2.5M PO.
This is actually pretty savvy when you consider Uggla's recent vision surgery and the fact that he was FUCKING BLIND BASICALLY. If he can produce at a quarter of what he did with Florida earlier in his career this is the best signing in the history of free agency. Nobody gave me props because they thought this was a "joke" or maybe people did give me props but I chose to have a persecution process. This was a signing I thought was late in the game but was like 8 weeks ago holy shit this has gone on for so long. 8. Trade Julio Urias and Isael Soto for Phil Hughes
This goes back to the original goal of winning a WS unexpectedly with little fanfare as the Marlins love to do. Urias is hyped as shit and I hope he's amazing but he is also just barely allowed to legally have sex. Phil Hughes broke the season record for K/BB last year and was regarded basically as highly as Urias before he had a couple of injuries early on. He also has an incredibly team friendly deal that I was able to extend to a total of 5/58. 9. Trade Dan Haren for Mike Ford
$10M. Projected Lineups
|2015 ||2016 |
|1. Christian Yelich (L) (LF) (3.3 projected WAR) ||1. Christian Yelich (LF) |
|2. Alexei Ramirez (R) (SS) (2.3 projected WAR) ||2. Alexei Ramirez (SS) |
|3. Justin Morneau (L) (1B) (1.8 projected WAR) ||3. Justin Morneau (L) (1B) |
|4. Marcell Ozuna (R) (RF) (3.1 projected WAR) ||4. Marcell Ozuna (R) (RF) |
|5. Juan Uribe (R) (3B) (2.3 projected WAR) ||5. Corey Seager (L) (3B/SS?) |
|6. Joc Pederson (L) (CF) (.6 projected WAR in 150 PA = 2.4 projected WAR) ||6. Joc Pederson (L) (CF) |
|7. Dan Uggla (R) (2B) (8.0 projected WAR or something) ||7. Dan Uggla (R) (2B) |
|8. Jarod Saltalamacchia (S) (C) (1.2 projected WAR) ||8. Jarod Saltalamacchia (S) / JT Realmuto (R) (C) |
Seager is probably going to be pushed to 3B to fit this lineup but that's fine. Projected Rotation
|2015 ||2016 |
|1. Phil Hughes (R) ||1. Jose Fernandez (R) |
|2. Henderson Alvarez (R) ||2. Phil Hughes (R) |
|3. Jarred Cosart (R) ||3. Henderson Alvarez (R) |
|4. Tom Koehler (R) ||4. Jarred Cosart (R) |
|5. Andrew Heaney (L) ||5. Andrew Heaney (L) / Tom Koehler (R) whichever prospect is able to take the spot from any of the above |
This is a solid staff. Bench for 2015
Jeff Mathis (C)
Garrett Jones (1B/OF)
Casey McGehee (3B)
Alex Guerrero (???)
Enrique Hernandez (UTIL)
This bench is overpaid as shit. HOW I FUCKED UP
THINGS I DID WELL
- This sim is bullshit and nobody wanted players like Jones or McGehee so I couldn't unload them for anything. I had to send down a bunch of good players who had options (Derek Dietrich, Hecchavaria, Jeff Baker) because I had to pay Jones, McGehee, and Guerrero $12.5M collectively. This is the only thing the real Marlins FO did better than me.
- I definitely made my bullpen worse. It was pretty good to begin with so this isn't terrible but it looks much worse now than it did prior to this sim.
- I stopped caring about this sim weeks ago and missed out on probably a bunch of cheap / minor league signings because honestly WHY DID ANYONE GIVE A SHIT ABOUT DOING THAT AFTER LIKE 20 WEEKS OF THIS.
- Stanton trade is basically the Herschel Walker deal of the MLB.
- I convinced the mods to increase my budget to $90M. I didn't even break my original $75M with all the bullshit bench players so it was irrelevant but this was cool and I don't think Loria would do it.
- I think my team as of now is better than the current Marlins so that's cool.
In conclusion this was fun and you guys have some exciting players. I think this lineup and farm is better than at the end of the 2014 season, disagree in the comments!